View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #123
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Okay, I see that my categories are not good enough. Since anyway an update is needed I will re-do it here again

I have shortened the list to full chapters in volume 1. The sub-chapters are easily found in the chapter structure earlier in this thread and the status of the sub-chapters of one full chapter is normally the same. The following status classes are used:
Untouched: Chapter is foreseen in the structure, but nothing more is done about it.
First Draft: Compilation of text done by one member, not yet in a state ready for group discussion.
Priv. Draft: Compilation of text done by one member, ready for group discussion, but not yet posted in the Forum.
Draft: Compilation of text done by one member, and posted in the Forum. But up to now no discussion had started.
Work in progress: Discussed in the Forum but not yet deemed finished by the members OR once deemed finished but known to be in need of substantial revision.
Semi-finished: finished but with small points raised by new sources or new input that must be discussed.
Finished: Done and all members are still happy with the result.
Quote:
TRANSLATION FROM THE ELVISH
volume 1: THE ELDER DAYS

Ainulindale Finished

Valaquenta Finished

Quenta Silmarillion
. 1 Of the Beginning of Time Work in progress
. 2 Of Valinor and the Two Trees Work in progress
. 3 Concerning Naugrim, Ents and Eagles Finished
. 4 Of the Coming of the Elves Work in progress
. 5 Of Thingol and Melian Work in progress
. 6 Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie Draft
. 7 Of the Darkening of Valinor: Of Finwë and Míriel Semi-finished
. 8 Of the Darkening of Valinor: Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor Semi-finished
. 9 Of the Darkening of Valinor: Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor Semi-finished
. 10 Of the Drakening of Valinor Semi-finished
. 11 Of the Thieves’ Quarrel Semi-finished
. 12 Of the Flight of the Noldor First Draft
. 13 Of the Sindar Finished
. 14 Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor Work in progress
. 15 Of Men Work in progress
. 16 Of the Siege of Angband Untouched
. 17 The Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin Work in progress
. 18 Of Beleriand and it's Realms Work in progress
. 19 Of the Noldor in Beleriand Work in progress
. 20 Of Turgon and the Building of Gondolin Work in progress
. 21 Of Maeglin Draft
. 21 Of{ the Naugrim and }the Edain Work in progress

Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth Finished
. Appendix: The Tale of Adanel Finished

. 22 Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin Finished

Narn Beren ion Barahir or Narn e•Dinúviel Finished
. The Lay of Leithian Finished
. 25 The Quest of the Silmaril 2 Finished
. 26 The Quest of the Silmaril 3: Finished
. 27 The Song of Lúthien in Mandos Finished

Narn e•mbar Hador Finished
. Narn e•’Rach Morgoth Finished
. 28 Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad Finished

. 31 Of the Ruin of Doriath Finished

. Narn en•Êl Finished

. 33 Of the Voyage of Eärendil Finished
. 34 Of the Great Battle and the War of Wrath Finished

volume 2: NÚMENOR AND THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH

The Black Years Priv. Draft
. Of the Rings of Power Priv. Draft
. Relations of the Longbeard Dwarves and Men Priv. Draft
. A description of the island of Númenor Priv. Draft
. Aldarion and Erendis Priv. Draft
. Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn First Draft
. The Port of Lond Dear Priv. Draft
. Glorfindel Priv. Draft
. Note on the landing of the Five Wizards and their functions and operations Priv. Draft
. Of the Rings of Power Priv. Draft
. Tal-Elmar Priv. Draft
. Akallabêth Priv. Draft
{. The Lost Road Chapter III} Priv. Draft
{. The Lost Road Chapter IV} Priv. Draft
. The Last Alliance Priv. Draft
The Third Age
. Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age Untouched
. Of the Disaster of the Gladden Fields First Draft
... The Sources of the Legend of Isildurs Death
. The Annals of the Kings and Rulers Untouched
. Cirion and Eorl Untouched
. The Quest for Erebor Untouched
. The Battle of the Fords of Isen Untouched
. The Hunt for the Ring Untouched
. The New Shadow Untouched

volume 3: THE LORE OF THE WISE
Laws and Customs Among the Eldar First Draft

Of Naming First Draft
Of Death and the Severance of Fëa and Hröa First Draft
Of Re-birth and Others Dooms of Those That Go to Mandos First Draft
Of the Severance of Marriage First Draft
The Statute of Finwë and Míriel First Draft
The Convers of Manwë and Eru First Draft

Ambrakanta Priv. Draft

Maps and Diagramms Untouched

The Lhammas Untouched

Essekenta Eldarinwa Untouched

Quendi and the Eldar Untouched

Of Lembas Untouched

Dangweth Pengolodh Priv. Draft

Óssanwë Kenta Untouched

Assorted Poems Untouched

The Line of Elros and the Kings of Númenor Priv. Draft

The Istari Untouched

The Geneologies Untouched

Scholarly Notes and Essays

Commentary on the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth First Draft
A Note on the Stars First Draft
Notes on Motives in the Silmarillion First Draft
{Of }Aman{ and Mortal Men} First Draft
The Palantíri First Draft
A Note on Númenórean Linear Measures First Draft
ArcusCalion, you see that I have taken up your structure in some parts. That does not mean that I fully agree to it. I will give her some comments:
Volume 2 is in my vision of it build by two parts: ‘The Elder Day’ and ‘The Third Age’. For the first of these I did a full draft of my own. My idea was to follow the same principle as in volume 1: to report the history of that time in nearly chronological order. Therefore my Second Age stuff is more not separated between Nomenor and Middle-earth. To get a readable work some parts of the sources must then be moved freely. That means they are not found under the appropriate chapter heading, but somewhere else. I see that you do some similar thing with ‘Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age’. And I have used earlier parts of the ‘Akalabeth’ in a similar way.
I envisioned the second part in a similar fain, so I foresaw more problems in the Third Age material to get a readable closed sequence. But since I never did any work in that part, don’t no if it is possible or not. By that process such works as ‘The Line of Elros and the Kings of Númenor’ would be shifted to volume 3.
Beside that I would not include any text that is given in the Appendices of LotR. Sources published by JRR Tolkien himself are taboo for the project. They can and must be used as a guideline, but they are not edited in TftE. (If you envision a 5 volume TftE they might be included in full.) We might at some point use a sentence of these sources here and there, if really no other source can be found, but even than for the sack of no redundant text I would search first the appropriate HoMe volumes.
That said I do not see what ‘The tale of the Years’ would include. We do not have enough of that text to create a First Age text and we do not double the Second and Third Age from the Appendices of LotR.
Would ‘Cirion and Eorl’ include all the history of the Northmen as allies of Gondor? I think yes, but then the chapter title might be asking for a change.
I think ‘The Istarí’ does refer to the long essay at the start of that chapter in Unfished Tales. Since that is written in retrospective, I moved it to volume 3.
I removed ‘Glorfindel’, since it is included in my draft of the Second Age stuff.
I removed ‘The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen’ since that is found in the Appendix to LotR.
But I included ‘The New Shadow’. If it is fitting and can be edited to a satisfactory form is in question, but at least it is worth a try.
In volume 3 I am not able to comment much at the time being. Beside what I explained above I only shifted the ‘Maps and Diagrams’ into the ‘Ambarkanta’. If we are really able to update maps and diagrams, then the diagrams belong here and the full scale maps should be included in the other two volumes.

One side note about the work on first and private drafts: Once in the history of the project Maedhros and I had done draft for RoD in parallel. The comparison between these were a nightmare and in the end we had to change the working procedure for that chapter to get it done in a good way, and with that the hard all the work of making these drafts and comparing them was rendered nearly useless.
The reason why I relatively soon made my post with the first version of this ‘state of the project list’ was exactly to avoid having again parallel drafts. And now I see that nonetheless you did work on the second age material that was already in ‘Draft’ state, and that even without re-starting the general discussion that Arvegil145 and I had of how to. I fear that in the end either your time for doing this drafts was wasted of mine. I hope it is yours, since ‘ever’ seems to be a short span in your reconing.

About gandalf85’s points:
1) ‘Of Eldamar and Princes of teh Eldalie’:As you see above that is still on my computer waiting to be posted here. The work needed to do that, is to shorten it for the public forum to as good as possible in line with copy right law and to comment on the changes I introduce.
‘Of the Darkening of Valinor: Of Finwë and Miríel’: There is nothing more finished than the text of 2004. And since the project has developed since that time the state of the chapter is ‘Semi-finished’.

2) ‘Of the Darkening of Valinor‘ is included in all the chapter headings because that was how we understood what Tolkien intended. But since all these chapters are in the ‘Semi-finished’ state this point can also be discussed.

3) gandalf85, why do you think the ‘Athrabeth’ shouldn’t been placed at its chronological place? Now after we have worked out a draft for ‘Of the Edain’ my feeling is that it is even more fitting exactly there.

4) If I remember rightly it is a part of either ‘Dangweth Pengolodh’ or ‘Essekenta Eldarinwa’ that was not included in the HoMe volume due to space restriction. (This should then as well be the placing in our volume 3.) It is correct that it was then published in Vinyar Tengwar.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 09-27-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote