View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #48
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Execuse me for answering so late, Gondowe!

I had to re-read a bit to make up my mind about Eöl an your question. For me the note: 'but the relationship to Thingol would have a point' is a kind of call back for the first sentence of the earlier note ('Eöl should not be ...'). It is hard to bring all different story into order in ones mind. For me stil the best solution Tolkien came up with the story of a Tatyarin Avari. Since there was intermarraging between the clans he still could be a kin fo Thingol (who by the way seems to be akin to nearly everyone). Eöl being of Tatyarin blood would also explain why the marriage between his son Maeglin and Idril was out of question, when in other places a relatiuonship between first-cousins is allowed if the unrelated parents are not akin at all.

I am sure that, if ever we came to the story of Maeglin, Eöl will give us a hard nut to crack.

That Eöl had a relation to Thingol simply by living in Nan Elmoth is a given, so that does not explain (for me at least) what Tolkien meant with 'but the relationship to Thingol would have a point'.

That Thingol is of a born genaration and not one of the awoken 144 is asured by him having a 2 brethern. Therefore we would not need Eöl to make that clear.

In the end it all will come down to close examination of the time when all these notes were written. I had no time to do that right now. So it has to wait for some other kind soul.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote