View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #40
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
After a further day of thought and some reading, I will give in.
Quote:
Nevertheless many thanks to both of you for a good discussion on this point it had brought me to a much better understanding of the geography of Eastern-Beleriand and the journey of the Edain.
Yes, this discussion has given me a much better understanding of the confusing issue of the Dwarf roads as well. It's funny how such an apparently minor point, not even noticed in our first discussions, can become one of the major difficulties.

Quote:
and death fell like rain upon their ranks RD-EX-77.5<TN , since {[?}others{]} poured still the hail of arrows upon them, and thus got the Eldar few hurts and the Dwarf-folk fell dead unceasingly
I like the addition, but I think it would be better to use substitute "for" for "since":

Quote:
and death fell like rain upon their ranks RD-EX-77.5<TN , for {[?}others{]} poured still the hail of arrows upon them, and thus got the Eldar few hurts and the Dwarf-folk fell dead unceasingly
Quote:
§51d (§331) ... But {Gwendelin}[Melian] told of the dragon's ban upon the gold and the {[? }staining{]} of blood in the king's {halls}[death], ‘and yet another and more potent curse, whose arising I know not, is woven therewith,’ said she, ‘nor methinks was the labour of the Dwarves free from spells of the most enduring malice.’ ...
I wonder if it would be safer to follow the same course here as we did in Melian's warning to Thingol earlier - that is, simply remove the reference to the curse of the blood:

Quote:
§51d (§331) ... But {Gwendelin}[Melian] told of the dragon's ban upon the gold {and the {[? }staining{]} of blood in the king's {halls}[death],} ‘and yet another and more potent curse, whose arising I know not, is woven therewith,’ said she, ‘nor methinks was the labour of the Dwarves free from spells of the most enduring malice.’ ...
To me it seems a little forced to replace "halls" with "death"; also, in the original there is a strong symmetry between this warning and Melian's earlier warning to Thingol, which we would break if we handle them differently.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 02-06-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote