View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 06:22 AM   #73
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Willofain

“So this is ‘school’” said Willofain as she passed through the side door of the Prancing Pony. She saw a room with small tables scattered about, and children seated at the tables. Some of the children were looking at slates, she saw. Then she noted that some of them were Small Folk.

Willofain’s eyes grew wide. She knew about Hobbits, of course, because she had been raised in the country where most of them lived. But she had never seen Big Folk and Small Folk together before. Here there were a Big Person and a Little Person at nearly every table!

“Sit with Fippi,” Miz Andreth directed, so Willofain took her seat next to a little Hobbit boy. He looked down and did not say anything. Willofain could not think of what to say either, so she looked around.

Why, they look different, she thought. Almost everyone there had brown hair and neat, well-made clothes. Willofain knew her own hair was light-colored, and she could see wisps of hay in it from last night’s sleep in the stable loft. She smelled like hay. And her homespun woolen tunic and breeches were as different as could be from the frocks of most of the girls. Is it because they are town folk? she wondered, and decided to ask her neighbor.

“Hi,” she said to her silent seatmate. “My name is Willofain. Who are you? Fippi? Are you a Hobbit?”

“Yes,” he said shyly.

“I’m a Big Person. Bigger than you. But I’m nine, and older people are bigger, aren’t they? I used to live on the farm but they brought me to town and I got – lost, I reckon. What are we doing here?”

He told her they were going to learn to read and write.

“Do you mean, like reading books and maps, and writing songs and stories?” Willofain exclaimed. People looked in her direction and she lowered her voice. “Oh, I want to do that! More than anything in the world. What do you like to do best, Fippi?”

“Climb trees,” he answered and this time he gave a little laugh.

“Well, I like to tell stories. Someday I will write them down. Maybe I will write your story, Fippi. About this lucky Hobbit boy who has a Mum and Dad and goes to school and climbs trees. Would you like that?”

Now Fippi’s eyes widened. Anyone could tell this Big Girl thought he was lucky!

As Miz Andreth began to speak to the class, Willofain daydreamed a little. She usually thought about finding a new home, but now she thought about learning to read, and making friends. Maybe they could climb trees together, and tell stories.

This is a good place, she decided, smiling. I wonder what will happen next?

Nova's post for Fippi:

Fippi was getting very eager. He tried as well as he could, doing the exercises, writing down numbers and letters. The girl next to him, Willofain was just as eager, asking him whether they were going to learn how to read books and maps. Her voice ran trough the 'classroom' at the Inn, and many of the children lifted their small heads, stirring at the girl, who had just asked Fippi a question.

"What do you like to do best, Fippi?”

Fippi didn't answer at once. Could e really trust these people? The trees were his world, an now this Big Foot... erm.. Big Folk girl asked him personal questions. Yes, this was indeed personal, was it not? The little hobbit boy hesitated for a moment, remembering every single bad word his father, Hedgar, had said about these people. At last he answered shyly: "Climbing trees."

“Well, I like to tell stories. Someday I will write them down. Maybe I will write your story, Fippi. About this lucky Hobbit boy who has a Mum and Dad and goes to school and climbs trees. Would you like that?” the girl replied eagerly, having her eyes all over the hobbit boy. Fippi realised that people were looking again, he grew red, but didn't say anything.

For a while, the two of them didn't say much to each other. They kept on writing letter and numbers. Fippi concentrated having his tougue out of his mouth. It was really hard to write the number '9' and '3'. They are 'curly' he thought, muttering his concern to his side mate. The girl agreed, but still they continued.

Their backs were turned to the window, and none of the two students noticed three boys with very 'deadly' weapons.

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]