View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I wonder if Frodo's was to hand over the responsibility for the quest to someone else. It's what he does a couple times - with Aragorn, and later in Lorien with Galadriel. But if that is so, I find it curious that he should "fall" to the temptation in truth so quickly after Galadriel's test, and with the test-maker too.
While I agree that part of Frodo dearly wished to hand over the Ring, and thus responsibility for the mission, to some authoritative figure (whether he would still have been able to do so at that stage is another question) I don't see him as falling to the temptation in the scene at Galadriel's mirror, or if he did it was a controlled fall, you might say: knowingly turning the temptation against the tempter, and maybe with a bit of hobbitish tongue-in-cheek. Mark the wording:
Quote:
‘You are wise and fearless and fair, Lady Galadriel,’ said Frodo. ‘I will give you the One Ring, if you ask for it. It is too great a matter for me.’
Not Will you not take the Ring?, as he asked of Gandalf, but I'll give it to you if you ask for it, leaving it to her to ask or not ask. Two can play that game, Lady Galadriel - and her reaction is as good as saying Touché.