View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
EluThingol
Pile O'Bones

EluThingol has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamexKoopa View Post
They don't seem to directly tie in with anything else from Tolkienverse that I remember ... it's been a while since reading Silmarillion, is there anything which could ambiguously be them from that?

Notice how in the Hobbit movie, PJ turns a distant spectacle into a silly action sequence? You can't put any variation of the words "giant monster" in front of him and not expect a drawn out scene
Indeed I thought about Jackson merely using these creatures, even the very thin rumor of them from the actual book, as a whole spectacle for the movie.

But then again you sort of have to do that a little bit in hollywood, taking these movies as an adaptation of a tale rather than the screen version of what you read.

That being said, there are many times where Tolkien (in all his work) references creatures that come from mysterious places, and spirits that are totally undefined as far as the lord of the peoples of middle earth. Using my willing suspension of disbelief, and of course my overly active imagination, I chalked them up to being a form of primordial spirits of the mountains, whose existence is so unrelated to the politics and energies of middle earth to the point that they just do their rock-thing every once in a while and then slumber without paying too much attention to anything else.

I liken it to a bunch of like, children playing in the dirt where there is an entire civil war going on underneath them between ants. Stone giants may very well be maiar of some sort, or maybe even living (violent) shepards of rock akin to ents.
EluThingol is offline   Reply With Quote