View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
I fear that even such an apparently simple change as the updating of "Thu" may prove very problematic for both metre and rhyme.
That's definitley true. But it will be about 50 lines (or maximum 100 if we consider a rhyming couple as a hole) in which there is a problem of such changes. If we try to make the Geste a prose text we have about 4000 lines to deal with.

Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
But I suppose there's nothing for it but to go ahead and try to work on the poem, and see how difficult it turns out to be.
That's exactlly what I think we should do.

About the addition you desiered from Ros: I did not consider that particular passage as jet, but I have tried to add a short passage from GA in the conversation of Felagund and Celegrom and Curufin. And I must say that I am not happy what I produced. If the groupe is not able to find some better solution, I think we will skip the passage in the end. But for the passage you would like to add I could see even a further option: we could add it in retrospect, since it is not bound up with some speciale point in the narrative.

Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
Again, it seems to me that if possible, the best course is to include the whole section containing Turin's rescue in verse; and again, it's the possibility that I doubt, not the mere idea of incorporating verse.
That does again mean that we have to go ahaed and see what can be done. (So the ball is in my field again since I am working at the text in the moment - well I made some succes today, but I started the public version and found some misses in the privat version so I need a further check, which is best done by doing the public version for the part taken from the Narn, which must be done some times any way. But from my feeling it is nearly done, so you might expact the text to be in the private froum.)

Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
But I think another very promising option here is the conversion of the section into prose. It would be a delicate operation, to be sure, but I do not see any reason that it could not be done in principle.
I agree that this option is much more possible in the case of The Lay of Children of Húrin. One point is that we have only about 1500 lines of which about 150 lines will be changed anyway and which are interuped by prose sections at 7 places. In addition I feel that the aliterative lines are much easier lost or overlook when they are not shown as such. But still I think it might be posible to rescue parts of the verse and I am not sure that the choice should absulute no verse or as much verse as possible. So if a stretch of verse looks still good after all changes are done to it, we should hold it. Even if in other places we reform the part of the poem to prose.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote