View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #844
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Iris & Prim

Prim motioned Tolly over with a smile, directing him first to the cupboard where the bowls were and next to the basket on the countertop which held the spoons. ‘Here you go, Master Bramble!’ She ladeled out a generous portion of savory beans, making sure to include some nice chunks of ham. ‘That should do you!!’ She motioned him to the kitchen’s table, then fetched a basket of warm biscuits and a little crock of butter.

‘Here’s a knife for your biscuits, and a plate, too’ she went on. ‘Light hand she has with the biscuits, don’t you think?’ she whispered quietly as she leaned down to put the plate by his bowl. ‘You know, I love the taste of your smoked trout,’ she continued in a more normal voice. ‘It’s the best around these parts. What is it you use – oak, a little apple, maybe?’

~*~

Iris rolled out the last batch of biscuits to a large thin mat. She basted the dough with butter and folded it over on itself, repeating the process two more times. Once cut, she transferred them to several baking pans and popped them into the waiting oven.

‘I think we can move those beans off the flame now, Prim.’ Iris surveyed the kitchen as she wiped her hands on the towel at her waist. ‘Hmmm . . . well we’re ready for the hungry hordes, yes?’ she said to no one in particular. ‘Prim, let’s you and I mince a few onions, in case somebody wants to spoon a few over their beans. My Pa always liked them that way, you know. Not my Ma, though. She said they stunk.’

‘So, what do you think, Tolly Bramble?’ She turned toward the Hobbit and arched her brows as he spooned up another big bite from his bowl. ‘You favor a little onion on your beans?’