View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #268
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Personally, I think Silmarils trump Bar-en-Danwedh. Who was the latter dangerous for? It was certainly a significant part of a story with lots of danger in it, but was it actually dangerous on its own? There were 52 men living in it. One of them was dangerous. But his "innate" danger does not make his house dangerous (as Barad-dur is not dangerous simply because Sauron resides there).

The Silmarili, on the other hand, posess the danger themselves. They are not only dangerous to hose who try to touch them without a right to do so. They pretty much hold the fate of Arda. They have a great power inside of them. They are more than just shiny rocks. I would say that they are even more dangerous than the One Ring. They also have a will of their own, and that will, I would say, is much stronger than the Ring's. For one thing, the Ring's power is limited to what Sauron put in it. The Silmarils hold the fate of all the world, Sauron included. Then, if you consider it, a continent was sunk and almost all its population was destroyed because of -you name it - Silmarils! We know less about them than the Ring, but it doesn't mean they aren't powerful and dangerous.

So if you think the Ring is dangerous (and who wouldn't, duh, that's what LOTR is about, right?) I say the Silmarilii are even more so.