View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #263
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Dangerous (threatening, hazardous, fortified)

Let's not be too hasty Mr. phantom... These all are "dangerous" in different ways - and we can and should argue which of them might be seen as more dangerous than some other. But in this kind of situation I think the other descriptions aid one pretty much and make the game more interesting.

So let me offer another quite hasty analysis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Sauron trumps his own places of course-
Barad-Dur
Minas Morgul
They are all dangerous, threatening and hazardous - but both Barad Dūr and Minas Morgul are far better matches for "fortified" than Sauron (Sauron may go into a fortification or build one around him, but he is not himself fortified in a way a place is!). So actually one should argue that Barad Dūr and Minas Morgul both trump Sauron.

Quote:
I'm confident Sauron trumps the characters-
Elendil
Caranthir
The Barrow-Wight
Beruthiel
He might or he might not. But as he has lost to both Barad Dūr and Minas Morgul already that doesn't actually matter any more...

Quote:
For remaining places Misty Mts trumps House of Ransom.
Here I would just plain disagree. With the House of Ransom all the qualities are concentrated in one place and have a devastating effect to one of the greatest struggles of the whole legendarium whereas Misty Mountains are great in many respects but too wide - and thus diluted - to make a similarly strong impression. I mean that fex. it is not that The Misty Mountains are fortified as such - and there were times and places where the Misty Mts. were not dangerous or hazardous... What I mean is that they are too grand both in time and space to really make it - whereas the House of Ransom is a special place that is exactly fitted into the fates of Tśrin, Beleg & co. (the concept "House of Ransom" doesn't describe the hill as such through the ages but the pivotal point of these remarkable adventures - being the concept of danger and hazard itself)

Quote:
For objects Silmarils trumps palantiri.
This I might accept indeed, even if I'm not sure you can thusly discard the palantiri... But just as a comparison you sure have something that touches my nerve as well.

So as all of these are dangerous, threatening and hazardous, I would throw away the persons first (they are not fortified in the same sense) and would then compare the places & objects (which sure were most of the time inside fortifications). I mean that seems to be the only way to prooduce a fair difference between cast A choices and cast B choices...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote