View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 11:31 PM   #222
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen --

Posibly, but maybe not. I'm not sure if these two particular characters would have done this immediately.

Certainly, if Cami had made such vows, she would have yelled it from the highest rooftop!

But both of these characters are, in my opinion, very different. They are very reserved, and value their privacy. And on such a small ship, privacy must be hard to come by. That is one of the things that struck me even in contrasting Pio's situation with my own in the camps. She had no woods to get away to and take quiet walks. Everywhere she looked, people were watching her every move.

Mithadan's character is quite reserved and sometimes enjoys being "mysterious" (or so I see him.) There have been many times in the story when I wasn't really sure what he was thinking, and I believe that was intentional.

Pio's character has been even more like this. Pio herself admits that, for the beginning of the story, the Elf tended to be "manipulative" and was only slowly learning to grow beyond that. Again and again in the plot she's had many "secrets". Going off to see Levanto and not telling folk where she's going is only the latest example.

Looking back on Cami's relationship with Pio in the story, I don't think Pio or Mithadan would ever make a "public" anouncement. Pio would have asked me to come to her cabin and talk privately. Then I would spread the word to the rest of the hobbits (unless she told me it was a secret).

sharon