View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmog, LoB View Post
I get that in principle, of course. But how this is to be imagined in actuality, is my eye sight getting better, do I become quicker of mind and body, more intelligent, do I get more creative, etc. if I wear a Ring of Power? Is it really that? If so, this has little to do with technology because that only affects the outside world not what's within you - especially if we are talking about 'the Machine'.
No just a means to do things more effectively. Like a bulldozer rather than tons of men wielding shovels. I think the Rings did effect the bearers internally because for Elves they were meant to stay the fading that effected their bodies. Fading of course is the body eventually being destroyed, since they grow weaker with time. The spirit and the body of the Elves, which Finrod believed to be derived from the taint of Melkor, could not long endure together. So the body basically became but a memory held by the spirit. I think that this was the reason that mortals felt stretched while bearing these Rings because the effects were meant to be borne by immortals, not mortals. The machine, however, to me, is about the use of devices to make the use of inherent abilities more effective in their application. We are to some degree, in M-E dealing with such devices, Rings of Power.