View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White-Hand LotR -- Book 3 - Chapter 10 - The Voice of Saruman

This is another chapter with very little action, some description and much dialogue, and it is one of the most fascinating, masterfully written by Tolkien. A very personal memory that I treasure is that of a live internet reading, via voice chat, with various participants in three countries sitting at their PCs, books in hand, reading the different characters. The highlight was Squatter and Rimbaud’s fantastic interpretation of the two wizards; hearing their expressive voices with the very appropriate British accents was a thoroughly enjoyable experience! If you ever sit down to do a reading with friends, this chapter is a great one!

It begins with a slight change of location; we follow the remaining Fellowship members over to Orthanc, where they (and we) stay for the rest of the chapter. The ruins of the surroundings are described, the participants listed, and then the story begins. Gríma’s presence in the tower is revealed, after which Saruman speaks. I find Tolkien’s paragraph on the effect of the voice fascinating; it echoes Gandalf’s warning of the danger that Saruman still poses.

Gandalf’s restraint in letting those spoken to answer for themselves without his active influence contrasts sharply with Saruman’s persuasion. Indeed, the difference between the two wizards is one of the most important aspects of this chapter.

Interestingly, the first one to speak against Saruman is Gimli; that reinforces what we have read about the toughness of Dwarves to corruption by others. I love his words: “The words of this wizard stand on their heads. In the language of Orthanc help means ruin, and saving means slaying, that is plain.”

The second one to speak is Éomer, with a nice analogy – “So would the trapped wolf speak to the hounds.” He reminds Théoden of those who died at the hands of Saruman’s orcs, those who meant so much to him personally. What gives Éomer the resistance – the strength of youth, or is it some other characteristic? Do his words influence Théoden’s reaction, or would the outcome have been the same without them?

Théoden’s reply is preceded by much suspense, and begins without dispelling it until the third repeat of the words “We will have peace”. One sentence that he says to the wizard reminds me of the situation we discussed at the gate of the Golden Hall, where Aragorn resisted giving up his sword at first: ”…were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine for your own profit as you desired…”

Saruman’s wrath lets him lose control of his reaction – his ensuing “Gibbets and crows!” speech reveals him as he really is.

Though Saruman speaks down to Gandalf both literally and figuratively, Gandalf shows how he has changed in relation to him. “I fear I am beyond your comprehension.” A wonderful proverbial statement follows: “The guest who has escaped from the roof, will think twice before he comes back in by the door.” Then comes an offer of repentance: “Will you not come down?” I see that as having a strongly figurative meaning behind the literal one – to repent, Saruman must come down, humble himself. That proves to be too difficult for him; “Pride and hate were conquering him.” Like Sauron, he mistrusts others, thinking that they will have the same motivation he does, and cannot imagine that Gandalf would not wish to rule over him. “I do not wish for mastery.”

Then comes Gandalf’s verdict, casting him out of the order and Council, and the breaking of his staff, followed (literally!) by the Palantír.

I can’t help but wonder – and this is a good topic for speculative discussion – what difference could Saruman have made in the War of the Ring had he repented and helped them?

The chapter ends with Treebeard and the Ents, who will keep watch over Orthanc and its inhabitants.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote