View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Well, Jackson didn't stay faithful to the books. Did he stay faithful to Tolkien's themes? In many respects, yes I think that he did. But I do think that it is a bit much to expect him to adhere faithfully and unwaveringly to Tolkien's philosophical persepective. I really can't see the majority of the audiences for these films coming out of the cinema saying to each other: "Well, the special effects are all very well, but I am not sure that Jackson got it right when it comes to the old Boethian/Manichean dichotomy".
I'm going to be jumping far ahead in making this point - I hope you'll bear with me.

I suppose it depends on how important you feel 'Tolkien's philosophical persepective'' is. For myself, I admit, is is central. I may (or may not) agre with it, but I do think it is core to the works. Jackson appears to believe that LotR is basically an action-adventure fantasy, about Elves & Goblins, wizards, & heroes with magic swords, not realising that those things are just the 'hroa' of the story. The fea is missing. I suspect that is maybe why I find the movies visually impressive, but basically 'cold' & uninteresting. I was surprised not to be moved, for example, by Eowyn's desperate defiance of the Witch King (which in the book always moves me to tears). The movie placed all the emphasis on her killing of the WK, with her comment 'I am no man!' reducing the moment to one of silly 'feminist' sneering.

This episode in the book goes to the heart of Tolkien's 'philosophical persepective' on the nature of Good & evil, & is moving specifically because of that. Eowyn stands over her fallen uncle & defies the WK even though she is convinced she is going to die (her declaration 'I will kill you if you touch him!' makes her seem simply stupid - how the hell did she think she would do that, having no knowledge of Glorfindel's prophecy?) In the book she shouts 'I will smite you if you touch him'. Pointless defiance, & she knows it, but she stands there & defies him anyway. Shippey calls this Tolkien's 'theory of courage': doing the right thing even in hopeless situations, because it the right thing to do. There is never any point at which Eowyn realises she will kill the WK - its as much of a shock to her as it is to him!

Evil in Tolkien is a 'void', an absence, a nothingness, which can swallow the individual - open a 'void' within them. It is a temptation towards despair & fragmentation. This is, at the very least interesting, & not something that I have seen explored in mainstream movies. I'm moved by Eowyn's defiance when I read the books, because, at the end she refuses to be broken & swallowed up. She defies the chaos & nothingness that threatens to swallow her & all she loves. In the movie, all I see is a sub-James Bond moment, where the villain is despatched with a snappy wisecrack & bullet to the head, followed by his escape craft blowing up.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote