View Single Post
Old 09-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #49
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Earendur and Perry exchanged confidences with the silent cloak of night hiding their conversation. Perry shook his head in dismay at the story that the Ranger told. The hobbit sighed, "We haven't seen the like of this in a good ten years. I'd hoped we'd gotten beyond this point, but it does not seem so. Do you think there will be more violence, or that this may have been the first volley in something far more organized?"

Th answer from the Dunedain came swift and sure: "I am hopeful that this is not so. I think these may have been two fools with fierce dogs and too much liquor in their heads. But I am afraid that there may be bad feelings created which will be hard to bottle up or control."

Then Perry asked him if he'd heard the rumors out of Bree concerning a host of messengers sent out from the Shire to offer a place of refuge for halflings with no other home.

The Ranger thought a moment, "These matters touch on your people rather than mine. But there is always the danger that, if news of this reaches the humans, they will have one more reason to fear the halflings."

At that instant, a pesky black bird came swooping down through the air, cacling in delight. He plunked awkwardly down on a tree just beside the Dunedain. Then the bird inclined his head and held out one wing. For one crazy moment, Perry actually thought the Bird might speak. Rose came rushing in, her mouth wide open. She pointed at the bird and gasped..."

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]