View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #80
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Târik's News

Târik stood just outside the cell. Mabalar was awake and looked up, his eyes lit with intensity.

"I greet you, lord. I must be quick, for the news I have to tell cannot wait but 'tis not my time to be in the dungeons. I have passed your message to Monôizindu, and he accepts me as your spokesman. He will spread word and bring what aid he can. But he had news."

Târik paused and listened. Satisfied after a while that no one was skulking in the shadows, he continued.

"He told me that he saw Inzillomí being taken to the Temple of Sauron, a prisoner for sacrifice. I am sorry."

Mabalar's eyes widened and his jaw worked. "Are you certain?"

"Aye. The shopkeeper gave no sign that he doubted who it was."

The light in Mabalar's eyes died and his shoulders slumped. It seemed that the man shrunk a little where he sat chained to the wall.

"I must go now, lord."

"One more thing. Did he give word of my daughter?"

"Nay, lord. He said nothing about her. Fare well and do not give up hope."

With that Târik left him.

Mabalar's Thoughts

It could not be! She was supposed to be safe in Rómenna! How could she be a prisoner of the fiend, here, now? But Monôizindu had been sure. Mabalar ground his teeth and closed his fists, hard, wishing that Sauron's neck was caught by them. All hope for the house of Mellethroch then rested on Kâthaanî. Eru guide you, my gem of fire. If Inzillomí were to die, then what? Would there be any use in escaping himself? No! He must not let Sauron have her! But what could he do? If Sauron ever found out who Inzillomí was, he would be sure to use her as bait or a bargaining chip for him! Please, Inzi, please do not let them know who you are!

What if Inzi died and he did escape? He and Kâthaanî would have to make a life for themselves without her. Cerveth did not need a mother anymore; but it was wrong for her mother to be taken from her. Maybe there would have to be another to take Inzi's place. His thought slipped to Míriel. His heart skipped a beat. He imagined Míriel aboard ship with him, and found it a wonder. Then he thought of Cerveth standing next to the former queen of Númenor at a new homestead on the shores of Middle Earth. Mabalar gave a start. No. The two did not go together well. Not at all. Míriel was fragile stemware; Cerveth was living fire. No, Míriel had chosen her fate already. Had Inzi? He hoped not.

But if Monôizindu knew that Inzillomí was a prisoner of Sauron, he would be working just as hard to achieve her freedom as his own. And Târik could help too. Maybe there was hope. Waiting was difficult.

In the Chamber of Sauron

A lean, dark figure came before the presence of Sauron the Great, bowing deeply.

"My lord, my liege, I have delectable news!" The dark figure bowed over and over again, waiting for his lord's acknowledgment.

"Speak it, Herugor."

"I was in the market square, observing the wares of various shopkeepers, and just happened to have overheard a Temple Guard speaking in privy tones to one particular shopkeeper who seems to have far too much time on his hands for traitorious activities unbecoming of a shopkeeper who bows before the king."

"Waste not my time."

"Aye, lord," Herugor nodded, bowing at the waist with each nod. "The Temple Guard, Târik, is aiding Mabalar Mellethroch at the beck of Míriel, and the shopkeeper, one Monôizindu who deals in pottery and hermetics, has promised this Târik to mobilize his network of the faithful who yet remain in this fair city for the sake of Mabalar's escape."

"We shall have to see that this shopkeeper and guard are arrested and made examples of."

"But there is more, my liege!"

"Go on."

"Monôizindu informed the traitorous guard that the one Inzillomí, the wife of Mabalar, has been arrested this day and brought to the Temple dungeons."

"I see," Sauron said slowly. "Keep watch, Herugor, and allow the insects to draw each other into the web. When all have drawn close together, then snag them all. Then we shall have a sacrificial rite unmatched yet! See to it!"

"Yes, my liege," Herugor bowed, and backed out of the chambers of Sauron the Great and hurried about his new task. Sauron sat in his great chair and gave thought to what he had just heard and decided. The smiles that grew on both faces were not a delight to the eye.