View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #31
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah; I'm sorry, I glanced too quickly at the emendation and thought that the element in square brackets was an entirely new editorial bridge.

I don't disagree at all about the fact that Idril gives the Elessar to Earendil before setting sail in Earrame; my concern was purely textual.

I think we can perhaps stay closer to the UT text, though. How about:

Quote:
Wherefore he built a great ship Eärrámë, Sea-wing, /*TE-D with white sails*/. /*TE-E One evening /*TE-D Ulmo beckoned to him/ [and] he {calls} [called] {Eärendel} [Eärendil] and they {go} [went] to the shore. There {is a skiff} [was Eärámë]. {Tur} [Tuor and Idril] {bids} [bade] farewell to Eärendil and {bids} [bade] him thrust it off <EL [and before Idril set sail she said to Eärendil her son: “The Elessar I leave with thee, for there are grievous hurts to Middle-earth which thou maybe shalt heal. But to none other shalt thou deliver it.” >
Like Findegil, I don't see the purpose of eliminating "for there are grievous hurts to Middle-earth which thou maybe shalt heal".
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote