View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
I wonder at the choice of the word Gods. It somehow bothers me the use of the words Gods,wouldn't the Ņoldor or Tuor would have rather said Valar or Ainur.
Yes, this should definitely be changed. I think that we should assume a general change of gods>Valar for the whole project.

Quote:
Because of the acceptance of the mechanical monsters, I think that we can use the deleted phrase of iron in here.
Right. Are there any other mechanical monster emendations to be found in this section? On a cursory examination, I can't find any.

Regarding the two poems: the first one, The Horns of Ulmo is okay or nearly okay with Jallanite's emendations, I believe. There are some slightly awkward spots that we might rework if possible, but otherwise it looks quite good.

Jallanite's emendations to the Earendil fragment are just as good, or better. But I retain my opinion (from long ago it seems) that it's not appropriate to insert it as a song sung at the feast. For the intra-legendarium role of the poem is not a song sung at the festival, but the beginning of a full Lay of Earendil (so it is, at least, if Christopher Tolkien's conjecture is correct, and I am of the opinion that it is).
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote