View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 03:33 AM   #8
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Um, hmm. Not sure on "Olwë and his own nearest kin" implying Olwe is one of his nearest kin. I think it might imply the opposite - "I ran into my boss and my closest friends" doesn't mean my boss is my buddy! I feel like "nearest" implies parents, siblings, etc, not cousins of any degree. But it is all total speculation, of course!
The problem I have with your analogy is that in the texts that I quoted previously it is well established that Olwe was related to Cirdan - and that the quote about "Olwe and his own nearest kin" in the context of the texts I mentioned before makes me think that 'Olwe' and 'nearest kin' were meant to be included together, especially given Cirdan's peculiar closeness to Olwe in multiple texts.

I hope that makes sense.

An additional point I failed to raise: Eol was also Thingol's kinsman, but he didn't seem to wield that much authority (aside from Nan Elmoth), unlike Cirdan who was held in high regard by both Thingol and the Sindar (as well as many of the Noldor).

And given how Tolkien had a habit of assigning authority to people who were closely related to other nobility, I wouldn't be surprised if Cirdan was no exception.

Last edited by Arvegil145; 11-22-2023 at 03:58 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote