View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 12:51 PM   #65
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
Just realizing now that there were changes to our text from 2019 that I haven't looked at yet. I will review these when I get a chance. I am, however, on vacation with limited Internet access for the next week.

I remain skeptical about inserting a host of names of Maiar from early sources, though I do not have access to PE14 and PE15. Also, the argument I see against Velindo/Gwilion is that it seems that the whole intention behind him was to be Weland. To retain him while eliminating the whole point of his existence does not sit right with me.
If it makes you feel any better (or worse ), Tolkien later decided to equate Weland with Feanor! See this article on TG that I wrote for further descent into insanity: https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/F%C3...nd/F%C3%ABanor

With that said, there are plenty of instances in the early legendarium where famous mythological figures are equated with the characters in Tolkien's stories - for example:

Quote:
It is then said, somewhat inconsequentially (though the matter is in itself of much interest, and recurs nowhere else), that Eriol told the fairies of 'Wóden', 'Þunor', 'Tíw', etc. (these being the Old English names of the Germanic gods who in Old Scandinavian form are 'Óðinn', 'Þórr', 'Týr'), and they identified them with Manweg, Tulkas, and a third whose name is illegible but is not like that of any of the great Valar.
- The Book of Lost Tales: Part Two, 'The History of Eriol or Ælfwine', outline 10, p. 290
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote