View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 05:04 AM   #595
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ok! It's done! Or at least I think I'm done tinkering with it.
Huzzah! I will try to get to this. Next week is school holidays, so if nobody's ill we may be able to get it sung.

Quote:
For next song, do you have any preference? Elanor asked about Prison Duet some time ago, and I figured there's no huge pressure to go in order between that and Hate. Epilogue is last, that's my only order request for the remainder of Act 2.
No requests! Hate and Prison both use pre-made art, so I can animate either. I'd say go with whichever is least stressy for you.

Quote:
I've tried to pay attention to who is saying which line in the duet version of the song...
Hmm...

First off, as an Amarie solo it is still Finrod's Dreme - he's dreaming/having a vision about his wife in her loneliness. The canon has "still Beren dreams that thou dost sing"; the Zong turned that into a semi-duet, but it could easily be played straight.

But I do want to do it as a duet, so the question is: can we make the lines line up better?

Speak, oh my heart; now I am turning to thee
What should I sing, to forget what has left me
And to preserve you in peace?

Works for Finrod as an intro to the song, but frankly might be better for Amarie. He left her, after all.

Crimson the night has passed over mountains undying
Speak, oh my heart, are you a friend or betraying
Why won't you speak unto me?

Suggests a sunset over the Pelori, so should be Finrod.

Listen, my heart, I can almost ignore how you ache
Strange how that which once broke, no more can be breaking
New dawn is rising from out of the sea-scattered mists

Clearly Amarie - he broke her heart, and now she's gazing east over the Sea at the dawn.

Listen, my heart, has the world fallen silent today?
Do you believe he who's gone can no more be returning?
Listen, my heart - keep your silence on this!

Has to be Amarie, because 'he'. Unless Finrod is speaking in third-person?

Look thou, my heart, that has rung like a scream through the Night
Dawn in her splendour is rising over chasms of ice

I actually like this for Finrod. Remember that the Sun first rose in the West! This is a flashback to the whole Exile - his trek through the Night, and ultimately the first Sunrise, which may well have been visible from the Noldorin position at the time. I can picture Finrod looking back and watching the Helcaraxe light up gold.

Look thou, my heart: forget his fair face and eyes bright
You've skipped a beat once again, skipped a beat one last time

Definitely Amarie.

From that point I think the current assignments work without comment. The thematic split is between Amarie's wounded heart, and Finrod's yearning one. So the only change we could make would be to swap the two "speak" parts, and consolidate "listen" into one big Amarie. That would make her very definitely the focus of the song, with Finrod only chiming in a couple of times.

hS

EDIT: A whole bunch of 2022 recordings. We already have one (Renunciation) from the same person, but it looks like there's at least 3 or 4 showings covered here. They're mixed in a bit with the Lay of Leithian musical, and I don't see any of the Daeron material, but we should get them on the list at some point. (The Epilogue shows up at least once! I think that's pretty rare.)

Last edited by Huinesoron; 10-18-2022 at 05:14 AM. Reason: New Russian recordings
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote