View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #590
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's been a while since this thread was so far down the page! I swear this is the longest song ever. And it's not just me procrastinating, I've actually been working on it, but it's crawling along at a snail's pace! This is the most slowly progressing piece by far.

I had a Zong dream the other day. I dreamed that a bunch of people were performing it on stage in the Russian version, including Elanor and some people I met in Boston. I was playing Galadriel. The show was starting, and I go onto the stage to sing Lament, which is a piece I enjoy very much, as you know - and I suddenly forget the lyrics. All I can think of is Ballad to Amarie. I have to sing something, or it will sound weird, so I am singing Ballad to the tune of Lament - dunno how, it would only work for 3 lines and then the text structure wouldn't allow it, but I managed to get through a good couple stanzas that way. Maybe I was singing Epilogue instead? Dunno, it's a dream. But that whole time I am just feeling very stupid, I know that what I'm singing makes zero sense, and I am just scrambling to remember any of the Lament lyrics in any language at this point. I took this as a sign to get going already and get on with the music. So here is how I have got on so far:

Heart, half-way through. And the same thing sung, to demo the starting point. I am hoarse again from yet another bug, so good thing I'm not due to do any real recordings for a while.

The last stanza here ("rung like a scream through the night") was what took the longest. It seems to go on forever. And so much of it is "empty space" without lyrics. I went to check back to V2 to see if I'm inserting too many bars there, but no - the original just has a much faster tempo, and we've slowed it down a fair bit, so the pauses just seem to stretch that much longer. We've done that for most songs to be honest, I think it's a feature of singing in English - it needs to go a little slower. And while listening to the original I also realized just how much better it is, and how plain this sounds in comparison, and it's been a bit of a damper. But I'm looking forward to the second half of the piece. "Bitterest fruit" is by far the most random bit of the song, but then it gets to Amarie acknowledging her ongoing affection and wishing Finrod well, which are my favourite bits, and I have a general idea of what I want to do for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I'm completely happy for a full re-do of the Duet; the animation isn't too tricky on that one, and I still have all the files and everything. For the Duel, touching-up is fine, but like you say it would be good not to impact the animation. That fade in and out of the Valinor scene was a lot of work that I can't actually remember how I pulled off any more. ^_^
Nope! Duel would just be a touch-up of the music. Duet - I have to redo all my contributions regardless, but if you don't mind re-singing and re-animating that one we could do a full makeover or just a partial one. It's off in the future somewhere on the to-do-later list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Perfect! I think that list still holds up, though no doubt there will be changes (perhaps Thingol and Melian can be merged into a 'Melian finds Thingol's body' scene). I know basically how I want to do the final sail-away, and hope to use some of the same techniques when we reach "Truth".
The idea behind it to give all the characters a sort of resolution to their story, right? That gives Finrod, Beren/Luthien, Thingol/Melian, Cel/Cur, Amarie, Galadriel, Sauron in some order. Am I missing any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
We'll get there! How long did it take Tolkien to get past Balin's Tomb?
The real answer is: no idea!, but I suppose I'll pretend this is Balin's Tomb and we have awesomeness coming ahead.