View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #100
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
we of course have some vague idea of what is "classic" in the "West-Middleearthian" concept (all the tales we know from the books). And when you say that we do not know what the Easterlings were telling their kids, this could be countered with saying that our real-world concept of "classic" (as we present ones are more or less coming from the cultural context stemming from the European civilisation) is born with the same flaw. I believe you would agree if I say that we consider classic the concepts present in especially Greek and Roman mythology, with a bit of Near-Eastern flavor especially due to the influence of Christianity etc., then various other native European (Germanic, Scandinavian, Slavic...) mythology concepts. But we probably don't find the concepts found in, say, Native American or African mythology to be "classic", unless they happen to be close to "ours".
I actually do agree with you. But I had to try and present a different interpretation to help my tater succeed... which was clearly doomed to fail as Lommy didn't think my tater to be a good pick in anycase, whichever the major interpretation.

That said, I actually agree with you and Lommy that the Doom of Mandos is a better suiting candidate for the classic - while also agreeing the Last Alliance to be a good one as well.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote