View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #743
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
KARA

Kara had the presence of the mind to let go of Lady Saeryn's sleeves. She swallowed a half-sob and dried her eyes on her sleeves. Death was copper-a-dozen in this harsh borderlands; Scarburgians learned to live with the shadow of death on their doorsteps since the time they were in their swaddling cloth. There was nothing that she could do for Erbrand. Now she had to focus on the living, especially Lady Saeryn, who had enough misery and misfortune on her hands without her wailings to further complicate the matters.

And if they attempt to accuse me of being implicit in Erbrand's crime, for better commanders than Lord Athanar have lost their levelheadedness when they saw blood of their sworn men spilt, at least I'd give them no cause to drag Lady Saeryn into it, Kara whispered to herself.

"This would all pass over, Lady Saeryn." Kara smiled with as brave a nonchalance as she could muster under the circumstances, attempting to reassure Lady Saeryn, although how much she was taken in Kara was not at all sure. Not at all, probably. But she had to try anyway; she was Lady Saeryn's handmaid. If she wouldn't comfort her, who would?

Lady Saeryn looked at her for a moment, sadly, or so she thought, and left the kitchen. Kara sank back into the hearth.

"Fordides", Kara said slowly, her eyes bright with tears fixed on the washerwoman's countenance, "Tell me everything. How did... How did this happen?"