View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #737
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Kara crouched on the hearth soundless and tearless in her shock. She rocked back and forth as would a small child, her hands clasped between her knees, the silence disturbed by not so much as a whimper or a sigh. Even the tears were run dry. For what could she say? They would hunt Erbrand down. It was all she could do to gasp out to Lady Saeryn the reason Erbrand left, though even that, she could not finish in her grief; ‘He has killed a soldier of Athanar. Nothing but a hangman's rope awaits him in Scarburg now.’

Ever since the hour Erbrand confessed his love for her, Kara had felt secure and content in that she had someone to protect her. Besides, she had been fond of Erbrand. Even loved him, perhaps. The question played in an endless loop in her mind: Should she have left with Erbrand? Lady Saeryn would have others to help her in her hour of need, but Erbrand was alone and unprotected in the wilderness. It was a question to which she already knew the answer, but this did not make it any easier on her. Kara had known better than abandon Lady Saeryn and run off with Erbrand beyond the borders of Rohan. Kara would have liked nothing better, but she couldn’t… she couldn’t. Not when Saeryn had a baby on the way. Erbrand had whispered of his destination to her, biding the time when she would be no longer bound by the fetters of her duty to the House of Eodwine, but such a day was long off yet.

Kara heard Ginna and Fordides tell Lady Saeryn what happened, though everything seemed but a distant murmur to her. Then Saeryn slowly walked to the window and looked out, the slight flush on her cheeks draining away from her already-pale countenance as the ruckus outside reached its peak. There was sadness in her eyes, and… Kara flinched, and looked up at her mistress, wide-eyed. Fear? What had lady Saeryn to be afraid? Then the answer hit her as soon as she asked herself this question: it was Athanar’s soldier that Erbrand had slain in his fury, and the proud Eorl would not be pleased. Lord Athenar’s rage might even direct itself towards-

“Frodides,” Lady Saeryn whispered, “I feel I am going to faint.”

Kara supported Lady Saeryn as she stumbled away from the windowsill, a pallor cast over her countenance. It was a mechanical movement at first, Kara was not even aware of supporting her, her mind numb with grief. Then, prompted by the silky feel of Lady Saeryn’s dress and her warmth, the reality of the situation rushed back and overwhelmed her in one fell swoop. Erbrand, her intended, pursued for murder of that young soldier with insolent eyes! Kara broke down at last crying and tearfully clung to Lady Saeryn's hand.

“My lady Saeryn,” Kara sobbed, “Erbrand has asked me to come with him. He told me where I could find him when all this ruckus died down, but I just couldn’t leave you… I couldn’t…”

Kara had not checked her words, for she had not realized that Lady Wynflaed's chambermaid Lilige stood wide-eyed on the threshold of the kitchen.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.