View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #732
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If Coen had been ten years younger he would have gone quite red, but by now he had lost that care. Likely the young man was right. Athanar would wish to speak with them. He was not a soldier anymore -- not really. He was a Captain, he had a title and position and responsibilities that came with it that had nothing to do with being a soldier. At least, as far as he was concerned. Now that his lord was lord of his own Hall, he would be spending more time at Athanar's side. Most of his time since arriving had been spent in some form of meeting, it seemed.

He conceded that they should go directly to Athanar, and quickened his pace towards the stables, his mind filled with frustration over Erbrand, the search parties, Thornden, and this entire burg. Thornden had begun to speak his mind openly, only to switch back to a more subtle approach to getting what he wanted. Coenred was not surprised when the young man spoke again, voicing more eloquently what the Captain thought he had began to say.

My men, he thought, my men versus his... And Thornden wished to "be there if they found him." To protect him? "He is not dangerous unless provoked...will not make any further attacks..." Thornden certainly seemed to think he knew the man well, but they had yet to know what had happened, and how 'provoked' Erbrand indeed was. Coen did not look at the younger man until the mention of Lithor. He looked at Thornden sharply, as something obviously clicked inside the man's head. But he did not elaborate.

"There will be two search parties to scour the surrounding lands. If the Lord Athanar thinks it right, you may be at the head of one. And if you think I will only send out those men who came here under my command yesterday...I am not sure what gave you that impression. As for Lithor...all I know is that he was not at the drills," he said pointedly. It was as he expected. "You apparently seem to know more. We will have to speak with the Lord Athanar about it."

They entered the stables, and Coen handed the reins off to a stablehand, calling out for Hilderinc, to see if the man was still seeing to his horse. A soldier responded that he had seen him head out into the courtyard. Coen told the soldiers still present in the stable, a mix of men new and old to Scarburg, to stop stabling their horses. "The tanner Erbrand has been declared a fugitive. Search parties will be organized to go after him. Be prepared to leave as soon as possible and assemble out on the grounds. Hilderinc, with or without me, will return with further instructions."

Coen and Thornden then swiftly made their way up to the courtyard to when they heard an angry voice that was strange to Coen's ears, "Coen! Where on earth are you?! Thornden!?"

"Here, my Lord!" he replied loudly, heading towards the sound at a trot to then bow and stand at attention before his lord, nearly running into Hilderinc in the process. He was shocked to find Athanar in such a rage, and with his hands and his shirt-sleeves covered in blood. Coen felt fear for Scyrr mixed with admiration for his lord, and on top of it all shock and anger over what had happened. But he did not have time to feel these things.

"The men are assembling to be sent out in search parties, my lord. Two on horseback will scour the surrounding countryside. One party will remain here and search the Mead Hall and see to its safety. If this is acceptable, my lord."

"I also ask your permission to go out myself, my lord," he added quickly.

Last edited by Durelin; 04-22-2010 at 01:20 PM.