View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 01:57 AM   #314
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio came toward her friends and looked at each of them as if seeing them for the first time, clearly. She rubbed the back of her neck in weariness, and sat down on a barrel.

'It would be better,' she said, 'if we agreed to meet a little later. I'd like to see all the crew gathered, and all the questions done with at one time, instead of piece-mealing answers here and there in a disconnected and confusing way. Can you three get everyone together and agree on what you'ld like to know from me?' She thought for a moment. 'What about just after dinner? That should give everyone an opportunity to think through what they want to know. Will this be acceptable to you?' she asked, looking at Child and Bird.

Bird and Child went down to speak with the rest of the crew. Mithadan stayed behind. She heard his unvoiced question and felt his concern.

A fey light was in her eyes as she regarded him.

'I cannot tell you how the course of events will run, Mithadan. Only that by your presence here with us you are now well into them. Light and shadow run like twin roads beneath your feet, each step your own choosing. Choose well, my friend, and wisely.'

He turned to gaze toward the sea and hidden Beleriand. She stood and placed her hand gently on his shoulder, as if to offer some small assurance.

'After dinner, then.' she said, and went down to her cabin to rest.