View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 09:15 PM   #285
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio sought out Daisy as soon as she entered the dining area. The hobbit was standing next to Kali, and the two were chatting in between the well-wishers who came up to wish her a happy birthday. Pio, herself, went up to the both of them and gave them each a big hug. 'Look at you two.'she said, one hand on an arm of each of them. 'This is the kind of feelings I like to see between the companions on this ship!' She looked at each of them intently. 'I hope this is only the start of a firm friendship between the two of you.' Neither of their faces betrayed a different thought than this. Mithadan and Khelek came up behind her to congratulate the birthday girl, and she left them all together while she sought out Child.

Child and Rose were both near the table, replenishing the supply of food as the platters and bowls became empty.

'It looks as if things are going well, don't you think?' she said to both of them, indicating the area where Daisy and Kali stood together.Rose and Child both agreed with her. 'Where's Bird?' 'Has anyone seen her?' Child shook her head and pointed up to the main deck.

'I see. Well then perhaps I'll just get an assortment of food and go up and speak with her.'

She loaded up a large plate with an assortment of offerings from the table, found a bottle of wine and two glasses, and went up to the helm deck. Bird was sitting on the bow railing, watching the sunset.

'So, is this your idea of preparing the ship for tomorrow's journey?! Polishing the rail with your derrière!' She laughed and ducked the wrench Bird aimed at her. 'Careful! I come bearing food and drink.'

'Hmmph. Probably poisoned, knowing her!'

'Come now! I've personally tested each of these delicacies and suffered no ill consequences. Share this plate with me.' She put the plate down on a barrel head between them. 'We'll wash it down with some good Dorwinion wine.' She handed the glasses to Bird, pulled the cork on the bottle, and poured them each a full glass of the dark, red wine. The scent of plums and berries mixed with oak and spice teased their noses.

'To a succesful journey!' said Bird, raising her glass high.

'And may its price be small!' responded Pio.

They raised their glasses and clinked them together. In the light of the sinking sun, a blood red light flared from the glasses for a brief moment, staining their hands. Each took a drink and then set the wine aside.

'That was an odd toast, Pio.' said Bird, stuffing her mouth with the seafood delicacies.

'Mmmmhmmm' returned the elf,noncommitally, and concentrated her attention on the food.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]