View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
I believe the Balrogs are maia, and therefore would not be influenced by the ring.
Durin's Bane would have most likely been stirred up by the commotion caused by the Fellowship and goblins, and possibly Gandalf's use of magic.
My problem with this answer is that I find it kind of strange that Balin's Colony could live and labour in Moria for about 5 years without getting attacked by the Balrog. Im pretty sure their digging and mining caused a bigger commotion than anything the fellowship has done. As I said before it is unclear if the Balrog even took part in the final battle against Balin's Colony. Apart from this I find this systematical rating of supernatural beings and powers way too rigid. This ranking simplifies the individual relationships between characters whilst not offering any explanation aside from it's own inherent hierarchy. IIRC the Balrog is never called a "Maia" in the LotR. Neither is Sauron, or Gandalf. One should be able to answer this question with the information given to us within this very novel.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote