View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #22
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
And since the characters in the film often differ in other ways as well, it's easy to associate that single physical interpretation with a single personality interpretation--which is something I run into all the time with book fan fiction that relies on movie interpretations for the physical imagery. I love being introduced to different interpretations, but when everyone is giving me the same one then they aren't really exploring the characters in a creative fashion.
Ah, fanon. I have much the same problem with it (not to mention a personal dislike for the liberal use of Elvish where Tolkien himself didn't use it, i.e. using "atar" in place of "father" in a phrase that was otherwise not in Elvish). Drives me bats, sometimes.

As far as my personal vision of the characters, I formed them decades before Jackson, when I aspired to turn my art toward illustration (I was all of 12 at the time). It took some time before the images settled down, but they've remained the same ever since. While most of the actors were acceptable for movie purposes and some were very close to my interpretations, none were so remarkable that they have replaced my old visions. My brain tends to keep them in distinctly separate categories, and if I ever find movie-isms creeping in, I can pull out my old illustrations or portrait drawings and reestablish my original visions.