View Single Post
Old 07-08-2002, 01:02 PM   #106
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bird pulled the cart beneath the shade of a large tree in the courtyard, where the pony happily munched on a tuft or two of stray grass.

Pio and she dragged a plank table and abutted it against the back of the cart, so that 'Grandpa' wouldn't have to get out. They admonished him to keep the blanket securely covering his lower half.

Bird brought a bench for the table and Pio lifted Kali from the cart seat and placed him between them, adjusting his hood to cover most of his head.

'Pio! Bird!' came the voice, from the figure crossing the courtyard toward them. The elf shaded her eyes against the background sun and waved her hand in greeting to Veritas.

'I've found you!', she said. 'Somehow I knew you would wind up at the first watering hole on the route! But who are these two friends with you?' Veritas leaned closer to see their faces and introduce herself. 'Oh!', she said, 'but I thought . . .'

She was cut off Pio who said, 'Yes, we didn't think grandpa would feel up to coming along, either. But when his little grandson here insisted his gramps come along and get some fresh air, he was persuaded.' Levanto and Kali nodded their heads in agreement with this statement.

'I see!' said Veritas to this scenario. 'Well, in that case, allow me to buy the next round of drinks for this merry group.'

The five companions sat in agreeable silence letting the cool breeze in the courtyard refresh them while they waited for the return of the tavern maid.

She was there, soon enough, with a chilled pitcher and four cups. 'Here it is, my good travellers! Our finest Dorwinion wine!' She poured them each a cup and setting the remainder in the center of the table, turned to go.

'I say, pretty lass,' came the voice of grandpa, 'before you go - how comes the name of this fine establishment?'

She came to the side of the cart, and smiled prettily at him. 'I'm sorry, sir. I'm new here and can't answer your question, but if you'll wait a moment, I'll fetch the tavern keeper. He'll be sure to know!' She dropped a small curtsy to the venerable gentleman and hurried back inside before Bird or Pio could call her back.

'Levanto!' hissed the elf at the merman. 'It would be best if we kept our actual contact with the locals to a bare minimum. Now we have the tavern keeper coming out to speak with us! They are an all too discerning breed of men!'

'It's just a story, dear Pio. What could happen from just the hearing of it?' He smiled and raised his cup to her, his eyes twinkling.

From out the door came the generous figure of the tavern keeper. Wiping his hands on his apron, he came toward their table, a smile on his face.