View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #36
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Gandalf could simply have been referring to the visible forms, imparted by the clothing. I still don't see how ordinary horses would support an insubstantial being.
Because Tolkien indicates they do. Picture enchanted clothing which insubstantial wraiths may wear and which give solidity and weight to their wraith content, but not visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
I think I side with Inziladun on this one... I have no reason to think that the Nazgul were telekinetic, so they must have had some way of interacting with their horses, swords, etc. They can also smell and see (though poorly) which require sensory organs.
When their robes are destroyed the Nazgûl naturally, having no support and being intangible, fall helplessly through the ground to the centre of the Earth. Or rather they would if they had no telekinetic ability. Therefore they must have had some telekinetic ability to float above the ground.

How any invisible being sees at all is a puzzle. How does its invisible eyeball lens focus in its invisible retina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Surely there he was not including the Three. Why would rings made by Elves for Elves have the power to extend the wearer's lifespan?
An answer from the Waldman letter:
The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the preservation or slowing of decay (i.e. change viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance – that is more or less an Elvish motive.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote