View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #12
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring Bilbo and Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The keeper of the Ring is not fundamentally altered in what they are. A Man remains a Man, a Hobbit (or quasi-Hobbit), a Hobbit. He "borrows" Sauron's natural immortality while he bears it, and when that influence is removed, nature takes its course.
Witness how Bilbo was affected. At the time of the Council of Elrond, Bilbo was old, but still sound in mind and body. After the Ring was destroyed, he very quickly showed his age by sleeping a great deal and becoming very forgetful.
Is there any reference to a wearer of the Ring '"borrowing" Sauron's natural immortality while he wears it' in LotR? I might be mistaken, but I only recall Gandalf saying that a wearer did not die.

I'm also a little confused. You say that 'when that influence is removed, nature takes its course'. Are you referring to the person ceasing to wear the Ring, or the Ring's destruction? While Bilbo, as you say, 17 years after giving up the Ring, was still old but able, he rapidly aged once the Ring was destroyed.

However, Bilbo was at least just within a hobbit's life span, being 131 when he went over Sea. Gollum, by comparison, was the best part of 600 when he died. Despite the Ring having left him after he wore it for centuries, he was still able to leave the Misty Mountains looking for it, while feeding himself and avoiding most of his enemies. Bilbo at 111 would not have been capable of such feats.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote