View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 01:04 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have been rereading the return of the shadow as research for a RPG, I find it quite fascinating and heartily second Davem's thanks to CT. It is clear that his task was in it's way as daunting as the Ring Quest and that equally, he did not fully realise it's magnitude when he started. I have to admit I find his notes a source of joy - I imagine there were many moments of "severe initial confusion" and I howled with laughter at his recollection of the "Bingos" as demonic and appalling when the Carpenter bio gives a rather cutesy image of the family of toy koalas, which made the name Bingo even more horrific. I wonder how the story would have progressed of the main character had shared his namesake's "demonic character (composed of monomaniac religious despotism and a lust for destruction through high explosive)"?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote