View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 02:04 AM   #13
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What I find interesting is that in the original version Bilbo is 'only' 70 years old. He declares he is (as Estelyn has pointed out) going away to get married - he will have many children, yet the real reason he is going away is that he has no money left. In the second version it is Bilbo himself who was orphaned - his parents drowned in a boating 'accident'. In the third he has already gone & we begin with his son, Bingo, who is still hiding, invisible due to the ring, in a cupboard, laughing at the upheaval caused by the distribution of the gifts. Strangely, while we have a more 'advanced' culture in the Shire - clocks & fountain pens, Lawyers eject Sanch Proudfoot from Bag End, etc, the geography of the Shire seems unknown - the Brandybucks are only vaguely known about.

It seems though that its with the fourth version that Tolkien begins to open up the tale:

Quote:
Bilbo tells his son that: 'no-one can escape quite unscathed from dragons....Now I have spent all my money which seemed to me once too much & my own has gone after it (sic). And i don't like being without ...in fact I am being lured.....But at any rate I think I would rather wander as a poor man than sit & shiver...'

He notes: Asks Elrond what he can do to heal his money wish & unsettlement. Elrond tells him of an island. Britain? Far west where the Elves still reign. Journey to perilous isle.

I want to look again on a live dragon.

Bingo goes to find his father.

The Ring: whence its origin. Necromancer? Not very dangerous, when used for good purpose. But it exacts its penalty. You must either lose it, or yourself. Bilbo could not bring himself to lose it. He starts out on a holiday [struck out: with his wife] handing ring over to Bingo. But he vanishes. Bingo worried. Resists desire to go & find him - though he does travel round a lot looking for news. Won't lose ring as he feels it will ultimately bring him to his father.

At last he meets Gandalf. Gandalf's advice. You must stage a disappearance & the ring may then be cheated into letting you follow a similar path.

(At this time, believe it or not, one of Bingo's companions is called Vigo )

Bilbo goes to Elrond to cure dragon-longing, & settles down in Rivendell. Hence Bingo's frequent absences from home. the dragon-longing comes on Bingo. Also ring-lure.

(Bingo) sets out with nephews. ... Get lost in Old Forest. Adventure with Willowman & barrow-wights. T. Bombadil.

An alternative storyline has: Gandalf had turned up at Bag End. Bilbo tells him of desire for Wild & gold. Dragon curse working. He goes to Rivendell between the worlds & settles down.

Ring must eventually go back to its maker, or draw you towards it. Rather a dirty trick handing it on?
Its interesting how Tolkien is still trying to write his 'mythology for England' at this time -
Quote:
Asks Elrond what he can do to heal his money wish & unsettlement. Elrond tells him of an island. Britain? Far west where the Elves still reign. Journey to perilous isle.
- its as though he's decided to tie in the Hobbit sequel to the Book of Lost Tales. Also that at this time he's visualising the events of the story as taking place in 'recent' history - Middle Earth must be the European continent, & its possibel for Bilbo to travel to Britain!

The power of the Dragon-curse is also interesting - when did Bilbo become 'cursed' - when he took some of the dragon hoard? Again a link into the LT - with the curse on Glaurung's treasure which eventually brings down Tinwellint (Thingol). Bilbo has no money, so he has to leave home & family to get some - he has no choice. Only Elrond's magic can cure him of the desire.

Then the ring - 'you must lose it, or yourself'. And Gandalf tells Bingo that he must disappear(!)
- & if he does the 'ring may becheated into letting him follow his father. So is the ring actually preventing bingo from going after Bilbo - Bilbo has to give up the ring in order to leave, & chase after dragon gold, & the only way Bingo can follow is if he 'cheats' the ring into letting him escape. Why would the ring work against the dragon-curse?

And finally, we have the recurring theme of the son who has lost his father & wants to go & find him - a theme repeated throughout the Legendarium & in both Lost Road & Notion Club Papers ( & also in Smith, with the lost Grandfather, who has returned to Faery?).

Of course, the oddest statement for me is
Quote:
He goes to Rivendell between the worlds & settles down.
. Which will become truly significant when we get to Lorien....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote