Thread: Gothmog as Pat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 AM   #36
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But anyway, you cannot deny now that MoS was somewhere around the highest ranks, if not second, then third in command. We are talking different levels of command here (and here I think you misunderstood me in the first place) - MoS was not a general, not a soldier, his rank was not military, but "civil", a "politician", indeed, a minister - while WK was a general.
I don't deny that MOS had a high rank - probably he was the highest ranking MORTAL man in Mordor. I still think he had to bow even to the least of the Nine, though. The immortal Nazgul were entirely on another level, and while any mortal was replaceable, the nazgul were not.
I agree that MOS was no soldier, and that was why I brought him into this discussion about Gothmog in the first place.

Look at the parallels:
Sauron, lord of Barad Dur and Mordor, has MOS, the Lieutenant of Barad Dur Tower - a mortal Man, civilian administrator.
Sauron's Lieutenant = Second in command, who would replace him (if he accidentally falls and breaks his neck) is the Witch-King.

The Morgul Lord, lord of Minas Morgul, probably has XXX, the Lieutenant of Minas Morgul Tower - a mortal Man, civilian administrator.
The Witch-King's Lieutenant (The Lieutenant of Morgul) who would replace him (if he accidentally falls to a woman and a halfling with a Barrow-blade)) is Gothmog.

So, you see, Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul (Lord), is analogous to the Witch-King, Lieutenant of Sauron, not MOS, the Lieutenant of BD Tower.

Who would replace the WK when he is killed? - another nazgul, of course.

Also look at it this way: in every allied army, composed of troops of several countries and of different races, there is always a question of leadership. For instance, who would command a reserve composed of the Haradrim, the Variags of Khand, and Orcs of Gorgoroth? The King of Harad? Or the General of Khand? Or an orc? Difficult to choose, especially if Variags and Haradrim and orcs hated each other. A Black Numenorean would be not much better, as Black or not, he would be so much alike to the hated Dunedain of Gondor.
Solution? - Appoint a Nazgul - one of the Dark God's Nine Angels - and everyone is honored and elated.

Last edited by Gordis; 01-31-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote