View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Aylwen’s post

As if two four-year old twins grabbing Haven’s hands wasn’t enough, the older slave women stuck Haven with seven other children as well today. They danced around her, calling out names and questions, tugged at her clothes, and sang children’s songs. Haven had just about had enough of all this chaos, with all the whining children and complaining toddlers.

‘Where’s my mommy?’ One little boy came forward and jumped on top of Haven, and his two brothers did the same. Haven fell to the ground, and all the children cheered, except for the twins. Haven stood up and brushed the children away, and took a deep breath, ready to scream at the top of her lungs.

‘Where Nahala? How come she isn’t watching me today?’ A seven-year old girl strode forward, and the rest followed her, as if they were one herd. She snapped her fingers and all the children were quiet as they stood behind the girl. She had a design painted over the left side of her face, and her silky gown and shiny sash were obviously picked to enhance the look of the picture of a green dragon.

‘Your name, milady?’ Haven gritted her teeth as she struggled not to spat out the phrase she had become so accustomed to.

‘Malha…’ the girl answered. Haven groaned inwardly. How come she hadn’t been told Ekatran’s daughter would be under her care? The girl took a step forward and away from her herd. She reached forward to touch Haven’s sleeve, but quickly pulled back. Then she turned and pointed at Haven, wrinkled her nose, and her other hand came up as if to waft away bad air.

The children giggled.

Haven rolled her eyes. Most likely, the children had rarely seen anyone not decked out in silk and colorful ties, or scrubbed raw and perfumed until one reeked of foreign flowers. Not that Haven stank, but to the richly clothed and strange smelling children, she must have smelled strange to some extent. None of the children back away though, and they kept their dark eyes on the interesting and strange slave.

Haven raised her hand and went to touch the silken sleeve of Malha, as she had done to Haven. Before she could, though, Malha screamed at the top of her lungs and jerked away. As one, as a flock, the children ran down the hallway away from Haven. Haven groaned and chased after them. They eventually stopped, and Haven angrily grasped Malha’s wrist.

‘Ma’am, you are in my care. You listen to what I say and I don’t want to hear anything out of your mouth. Understand, child?’ Haven glowered at Malha, and the girl took on a smug look
‘Papa says I don’t have to listen to you. He says you belong to me and that I get to tell you what to do. Don’t be so foolish, slave, unless you want to be taken care of by my daddy,’ The girl smirked at Haven, and wriggled from her grasp.

Soon after the little incident, Nahala came to pick up the seven children that Haven didn’t usually take care of. Haven pulled up a stool, and sat in the hallway, head in hands. The twins, Jamilah and Jovanna, were pushing each other as they fought over Jamilah’s stuffed doll. When they noticed how down their caretaker was, they approached Haven and tugged on either one of her sleeves.

‘I don’t like Malha. She’s mean,’ Jamilah started. Haven looked up, and was about to answer that if she was heard saying such things she would be killed for treason, but thought better of it. ‘Do you think you’ll be picked Hay?’

Haven smiled when called by the nickname, but was oblivious to what Jamilah was talking about. ‘Picked for what, child?’

‘The Hunt, of course! Silly Hay-Hay!’ Jovanna laughed and clapped. Haven gasped: she had forgotten all about the Hunt Selection Ritual that night. Smacking a hand to her forehead, Haven cursed her forgetfulness. She should’ve remembered! Jamilah and Jovanna’s father was taking part in the hunt that year, and they made it a habit of always reminding their caretaker about it as they counted down the days.

Now that Haven had upset Lord Ekatran’s daughter, Haven wouldn’t be surprised if she were picked and sent on the deadly run away from the hunters. Now, If I had only upset Malha tomorrow, I wouldn’t have such a big chance to be picked!