View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
thelotrfreak1
Newly Deceased

thelotrfreak1 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
I'd personally love it if that happened. In a movie it is necessary to give a more visual representation of things like magic in order for the audience to get an idea of the power in the character. Characters like Gandalf could be represented in battle like this(in a non-cheesy way of course).

Can you imagine it? Gandalf using a sword and blasts of fire and lightning, Saruman using mind control and explosive devices from the sidelines, Radagast guiding wild animals and Huorns/encasing vines, Sauron covering everything in Shadow etc.
NO, NO, and NO. Gandalf rarely uses "magic" if we can call it that at all. He only produced fire in really cold situations and on a few other occasions. That's it. Your concept of magic in Middle-Earth is all wrong. Stuff like that would never happen.

Now back on topic. What in your opinion are good special effects? For me, its when you cannot discern them from reality. Thus, in my opinion, the movie with the best special effects up to now is Jurassic Park. 300 has horrible special effects and so does Beowulf.
thelotrfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote