View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #65
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
But "if X was in this specific different situation, how would they have turned out differently?" is a fun question (as is the reverse: "how would X's situation have to change to get them to turn out in this way?"). Numenor was a pretty nasty place by Tar-Miriel's time, and I'm not at all sure small shifts would make much of a difference. If the King's Men are powerful, and Pharazon is their leader, it's very hard to give Miriel the sceptre.

(The simplest shift might actually be to kill her father sooner! Pharazon was in Middle-earth until a few years earlier, when his father died unexpectedly. If Gimilkhad was still alive when Tar-Palantir died, the rebellion against Tar-Miriel would have looked very different. You might end up with Pharazon and Miriel as opposing rulers in a civil war, with Miriel taking refuge in Andunie...)

hS

Pharazon could have been removed permanently too. All in takes is one individual slipping in, slitting his throat in his sleep, and slipping out. His death would mean the sceptre would fall to his closest living relative: his wife. Namarie, Pharazon. Hello, redemption. One of Lords of Andunie could have done this. They would be ready to sacrifice their lives to protect Numenor.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote