View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #23
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron 666, your implication that Sam's character was imbued with "slave virtues" seems to me to be absurd. Had Sam waited on Frodo throughout his life as he did on the Quest for Mount Doom, it might have been different, but he didn't. Sam simply showed bravery, extremely loyalty and personal sacrifice in the face of danger, more for the sake of the ultimate purpose of the Quest than for any other reason. The fact that it was his best friend, whom he loved dearly, who happened to be his companion and the sole appointed Ringbearer, made it all the more poignant, but I am sure that Sam would have acted with the same courage and sacrifice for any other member of the Fellowship - or, for that member, any of the other Free Peoples of Middle-earth - if they were allotted the duty of destroying the One Ring and he were chosen as their companion. The virtues he displayed are virtues that every one of us should have at need.

But still, opinions are opinions, I suppose.

I second Saucepan Man's nomination of Mim the Petty-Dwarf as the most unlikeable obscure character in the works of Professor Tolkien. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Good thing Hurin gave the treacherous rascal his due.

Cheers,
Angmar