View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #173
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If I was judging I would have this head-ache -producing three-way tie between Ungoliant, Tulkas and Beorn.

Ungoliant fits all the four adjectives while Tulkas and Beorn "fail" with viciousness. But then again what we're after is something that is essentially "violent". So one thing you should ask yourself before choosing is whether that one you consider picking is "essentially violent", that it's essence is in its violence?

Looked at from that POV it becomes harder to make a choice. Ungoliant is the "light-eater", the gluttonous package of later fury and hatred. No one can say she is not violent, but violence is probably not her deepest describing quality.

With Tulkas you have this Thor-like Godness, the "Hammer of Justice" at the essence that might or might not weigh more than his way of reaching those ends with violence and open confrontation.

With Beorn you have this doppelgänger-role, this Janus-face where the other side is a vegetarian Mr. Nice and the other is the Berserker-Bear whose wrath breaks down whole armies (or skins the poor Wargs).

So to me it would be a tough call.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote