View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Concerning the Ellesar: The impression I always had from LOTR was that this was a symbolic peice in nature. In other words, it didnt have any intrinsic power, per say. It's wonderfull history was never even hinted at really in LOTR. I wonder if the author intentionally left it out, so as not to infer that the healing came through it's use, and as a result, put more emphasis on to Aragorn. Still, some of the historical patina of the Elessar could have been diplayed without taking away from Aragorns role in this chapter. But, as far as mortals go, it really was just a piece of elvish glass if your werent a king.

I love the rare instances of humor that occur in this chapter as well! I also see some of Gandalf's stress showing. He goes from high praise:
Quote:
: 'Men may long remember your words, Ioreth! For there is hope in them. Maybe a king has indeed returned to Gondor; or have you not heard the strange tidings that have come to the City?'
Quote:
. Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.'
to high scolding:
Quote:
'Then in the name of the king, go and find some old man of less lore and more wisdom who keeps some in his house!' cried Gandalf.
I will add on to Lal's nice analysis of the 3 different aspects of Athelas in the individuals by the observation of their first words:

Faramir
Quote:
'My lord, you called me. I come. What does the king command?'
Eowyn
Quote:
'I am strangely weary,' she said. 'I must rest a little. But tell me, what of the Lord of the Mark?
Merry
Quote:
'I am hungry. What is the time?'
Conclusion: Supper-Time - King of Hobbits

And finally, a quote from Aragorn:
Quote:
'I know that well, or I would not deal with you in the same way,' said Aragorn. 'May the Shire live forever unwithered!'
Given a few thousand years of dark time, I would say his prophesy came true, at least in my mind.

edit here for 2 items:

Gandalf:
Quote:
. 'For,' he said, 'long have I stood by them, and at first they spoke much in their dreaming, before they sank into the deadly darkness. Also it is given to me to see many things far off.'
Again a reference to the sight (or Sight)

Aragorn:
Quote:
. But it is my counsel that Gandalf should rule us all in the days that follow and in our dealings with the Enemy.' And they agreed upon that.
No question on authority here (as was debated on before)

Last edited by drigel; 08-31-2005 at 11:34 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote