Thread: Katrina
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #25
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Storm #2: Rita.....

Quote:
I hope that this does not sound trite, but I keep thinking about the Akallabeth and that great wave from the west which overwhelms Numenor.
No, Fordim, it doesn't sound trite but there's more than one way to look at the situation. As I wait and wonder what is going to happen to Houston over the next few days, I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I am also mindful of how Tolkien wove the symbolism of water throughout his tale in so many different ways. There's the relentless destruction of a wall of water. There's also the lure and mystery of the Sea and the goodness that flows from every inlet Ulmo used to keep an eye on Arda. Remember when Frodo and Sam trudged through Mordor and found a small stream to assuage their physical and emotional thirst, a hint of hope in a truly dismal place? Without some water we cannot live; too much water and we are running for cover. So I sit here with my "precious" hoard of bottled water hoping that we won't be chased away by too much of a good thing.

I am also hoping our Texas coast will fare better than Numenor did. If I had to choose, I think I would prefer the sinking of Beleriand, which apparently occurred at a much slower pace so that people actually managed to get out. We are keeping an eye on things and will take off to be with friends living further inland if conditions look very bad. Wind and water are so capricious. The storm center could die down or head towards some less habitated part of the coast, but you never know.

Perky Ent - Yes, I also love the Hobbit Hole and have gone there for many years. Sorry the weather chased you away for a second time. There are so many people from New Orleans here now, living in apartments and houses. I really feel for them, possibly having to relive some variant of Katrina a second time. For Valessa and all those other Downers who are perched near the Texas Gulf Coast (some of you much nearer than I am), I hope you fare well.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-21-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote