View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 07:11 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Boots

Let's talk about The Hotman, aka The Meteor Man. Though I am not sure how much of this should I post here in case some of it turns out to be true after all...

I have mentioned elsewhere, with 90% seriousness, that it would be great if he turned out to be The Balrog after all. It comes about like thus: one day, after having lived together with the Harfoots for years, he is finally trusted with preparing the cooking fire for the tribe and accidentally sets himself on fire. Ashamed of himself, he runs away from the tribe, hiding by burrowing deep under the roots of the mountains, thus setting a precedent for all future pariahs, but also giving the Harfoots an idea for a more permanent settlement. Centuries later, the legend of the Burning Man travels among all the Little Folk of Middle-Earth, reaching the ears of young Sméagol who sees a kindred soul and embarks on a search, only digging in the wrong part of the Misty Mountains.

ANOTHER option that, I swear, I seriously considered for perhaps five minutes, is that the Meteor Man turns out to be Tom Bombadil. There is not really much to contradict that possibility aside from a few sentences by Tom himself about how he's the oldest of all - likely a poetic metaphor or a self-aggrandizing exaggeration anyway (besides, could not really be true unless he were Eru himself, right?). Sticking close to Hobbits in the future, weird association with "wild" lifestyle, the fact that he speaks in annoying rhymes and songs that clearly stems from the fact that he learned speech from a bunch of silly crazy rabbit-like hunter-gatherers... Does this not make sense?

(Yeah... I am still not sure if this is entirely cut for this thread. It is not that far from being objectively plausible.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote