View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 04:32 AM   #14
Herenya
Newly Deceased

Herenya has just left Hobbiton.
It seems unwise of me to break the silence that has been kept in this thread for more than sixteen years, given the fact that the story I would like to share isn't even a sequel, as the title of this thread suggests. Although the story in question that I accidentally came up with turned out to be not a sequel at all, but a prequel, I hope there is a chance that submission of that story to this thread might be withstood.

In hope to avoid submitting an off-topic post, I searched on the forum for a long time, but I could not find a suitable thread intended specifically for discussions of prequels. Moreover, for some reason I'm feeling too reluctant to create a separate thread dedicated specifically for that story. Thus I came to the conclusion that the only solution available to me was to try to revive this thread.

I've decided that although my writing skills are not excellent, I should nevertheless try to save that story from complete oblivion publishing it on the web, in case there's actually a faint chance for it to be of any value to someone else. However, it seems to me that there is absolutely nothing special about it and if it can be of interest, then only for those who, for some reason, pay special attention to that period of time and those regions within which the events of the story took place - the last years of the existence of Arthedain; the northern regions of Middle-earth - Eriador and Rhovanion.

I was about to spend the next few weeks trying to compose a detailed summary of the story I was talking about in order to post it to this thread. However, I finally realized I couldn't afford to do that without the community's permission. Leaving aside the fact that the story that I composed is actually for a prequel and not for a sequel, I'm really confused by the fact that it could possibly have commercial value. I can easily imagine how it could be used as a plot for a novel or perhaps for a video game.

My concern is, whether publication of such a document would be an unwise decision that could have undesirable consequences for this place? Besides that, I'm wondering how would the ultimate fate of this thread alter if it suddenly got a very long post describing that story, which likely wouldn't seem to be pleasant to read. (Since my first language is not English, and thus I'm not really accustomed to speaking English.)

I would not mind if someone would use that story - the result of numerous executions of the brainstorming routine that I've performed over the past few years - in a commercial or other context, if there is anyone who could be interested in this. However, the outcome of all those attempts to figure out what the story for a sequel could be seems to be modest, and also, I should repeat, that story turned out to be a prequel, not a sequel.

Nevertheless, it may be worth to mention that the story does contain a number of details that reveal a few of my ideas about what the future of Arda and the Reunited Kingdom could have been in the Fourth and even in the Fifth Age. But I'm not sure that these ideas would be enough to compose a script for a sequel based on them.

Thankfully, after several attempts to find logical inconsistencies in that story relative to the original sources, I could not find such inconsistencies. I believe that its plot is passable from beginning to end and there are no logical contradictions or ambiguities visible from my point of view.

So, I hope that for this reason that story can get a chance to be embodied in a more permanent form than just my memories of it. However, unfotrunately, I doubt that I personally will have the opportunity to try to complete this creative project on my own.

So I would like to ask for an advice on whether posting a very long post describing that story to this thread would be harmless to it? Maybe I should refrain from doing this and venture to create a separate new thread intended for discussions of possible prequels? Or maybe I should cancel my current intentions to post that story on this forum?

If I do not get the community's permission to post the story for a prequel that I composed to this or another thread, I will probably try to find another forum where I would be allowed to do this. However, I really hope that I may have a chance to get the permission and possibly additional instructions on how to safely post that story.

Last edited by Herenya; 12-19-2022 at 05:28 AM. Reason: I know this post was a mistake but it is still necessary to fix some typos
Herenya is offline   Reply With Quote