View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hello Mr. Underhill, it's been a while. In fact, I think it has been years since two administrators posted within days of each other, let alone in the same sub-forum!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the three categories at the time of the Great Making were, in fact, "Books", "Movies", and this very sub-forum, "The Barrow-Downs", a place to discuss burning community questions such as, "How did you find the Barrow-Downs?" The addition of "Novices and Newcomers" was a measure meant to stabilize things post movie release.
You may be correct here. I recall that the Newcomers forum was intended to be a place where folks could introduce themselves, ask questions, and make themselves comfortable. Admins, and later the Moderators, kept an eye on the Newcomers forum for a few reasons. One was to welcome people, which was possible only when we had a meager flow of new members joining. During the Movies period (post upcoming) this quickly became impossible. We recognized that acknowledging the first post or two of a newcomer was important. A second reason was to keep an eye open for people with potential. If a newcomer made a particularly thoughtful or well-reasoned post, they might receive a personal PM welcoming them and encouraging them to post again. This practice also faded away under the crush of incoming members (unlikely as this might seem during these quieter times).