Thread: Discord Server
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 AM   #29
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Possibly dating myself very precisely, I always think of Discord as a combination chatroom and MSN Instant Messenger, with video/voice chat functionality. Personally, all forms of group chat make me feel like Denethor beholding the black ships every time I set foot inside, but I've been thinking about it in general terms:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide View Post
Live chat requires more than a handful of active users but it does offer a different and more casual experience in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The problem with any new platform is that it needs monitoring, which means it needs people who can be trusted to keep it in line with the Barrow Wight's purpose for the main site and forum.
As a member of another community which has an active Discord (previously IRC, previously Bravenet), these two points sum up my view: any chatroom function is subject to abuse, and the best ways to avoid that are either to control access, or to actively moderate. On a community the size of the active Downs, controlling access will just lead to an Anfauglith-dead server, and there's not enough people to have a robust moderation system at this point.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote