View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #40
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree Seed Cake

To jump back several days, Rumil said:
Quote:
I haven't encountered seed cake for years though I vaguely remember my gran making it long ago (or perhaps - shock horror - it was 'bought in' ). It was quite a light dry sort of cake in 'large cake format' around half a loaf of bread in size, containing seeds of unknown provenance, perfect for consumption with a nice cuppa. Naturally the dwarves, as us Brits used to in ages past, accompanied it with ale. Methinks an experiment is in order if I can find anywhere that still makes it. Any ideas from 'cheeky Brits'?
I'm no cheeky Brit, but I am a New Englander, where I think we may be closer to it than most Americans. And more, I believe I know your seed cake. My mother makes something fitting your description nicely. It's a loaf shaped cake, rather yellow inside with a brownish crust all around, slightly crumbly, faintly lemony, and filled with poppy seeds. We call it, sensibly, poppy seed cake, and it looks something like this.

Mmmmm. A favorite of mine. And definitely what I picture Bilbo serving the dwarves. I understand his reluctance completely.

Sophia

[Edit] Excuse my ignorance, Rumil, but what is Manx? As far as I've always known it's a breed of cat? Is it a language/dialect as well?
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 03-10-2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: cat language
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote