View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #34
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea otP
I think the most hilarious thing about this thread is that I can vividly imagine a dozen or so hobbits from different parts of the Shire sitting over a cuppa and eating baked products with arguably different names.
Excellent, yes! Picture the scene at Bilbo's birthday feast. Up to the table comes Rosie Cotton bearing a basket of bread rolls to be served with the soup. "Bread rolls," she shouts. "Who wants a bread roll?"

"Nah mate, no bread rolls for me," says a cheeky Bracegirdle from the West Farthing. "But aye, I'll have a barm cake."

"Tch," says the person next to him, in a broad Michel Delving accent. "Them's bread cakes, reight."

Rosie looks bemused but carries on to the next group of Hobbits. But a good natured argument has started up by now between the two Hobbits. "It's Ginnel, that path between two smials", says the first one. "Nayow! It's a jennel", says the second.

Meanwhile, Rosie gets to a group of lads from Buckland, who are all half cut with ale. They are sitting near the opening to the tent and it's a bit chilly. Rosie shivers a little. But the lads are quite content sitting there in their shirt sleeves, in fact, they look a little red-faced and hot. "Way ay!" shouts one. "Got some stottie cakes for us have you?"

Rosie wanders off to get herself a pint and thanks her lucky stars she's not serving up cakes or biscuits.