View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shall I confuse things even further? Very well...

To me, it's neither a muffin nor an English muffin. It's an Oven Bottom Muffin. And it is a distinct item to your everyday bread roll/bap/barmcake/breadcake, as they are cooked on the bottom of an oven so that the outsides get a bit blackened. And they have a little dimple on top. The ones in McD's are tiny in comparison. Lovely with loads of melted Lancashire cheese on them, or maybe some greasy sausage and bacon.

Crumpets (snigger) are of course delicious, yet even here there is confusion. Some Yorkshire folk call them pikelets, but to others in Yorkshire, a pikelet is specifically a larger and flatter type of crumpet. I think the origin of the first definition comes from those who did not like to utter the word 'crumpet' as it seemed vulgar. Even more confusingly, to an Australian, a pikelet would signify what most Brits would call a Scotch Pancake - which is nothing like a real pancake as these are quite small and spongy in texture.

I can well imagine a lot of Hobbits sitting about the fireside in an evening, toasting forks at the ready, muffins and crumpets speared on the ends...

What is apple butter though? It sounds nice, almost like Lemon Cheese.